Monday, October 15, 2018

Making Inferences and Deciding Which Text

This week we will be working with two texts: "Tell Us a Tale Hans!" and "Once Upon a Time". Both texts involve information about Hans Christian Andersen. We will continue our work with making inferences and move on to some work deciding which text to refer to when looking for information. We began today by studying this image and making inferences based on the pictures. The students came up with so many great ideas! They used our sentence frame "I can infer_________ because _________ in their conversation and were so thoughtful in their ideas. Some things we heard:

 "I can infer that their family doesn't have very much money because the paint is coming off of the walls and there are patches on their clothing."
"I disagree that they are poor, because they have multiple books and books used to cost a lot of money."
"I can infer that it is winter, because they are huddled around the fire, with warm clothes on, drinking tea. I usually drink my tea warm, so I think theirs is probably warm too."
"I agree with that because I can see a tiny sliver next to the fire place that looks like a window with snow in it."
"I can infer that they love to read, because they have a lot of books and they look happy reading them together."

No comments:

Post a Comment